Did you know that baby bassinet, cribs, and playpens are the most used baby sleeping setup and are considered the safest options. if you are a new parent and face this daunting task to choose the best sleeping arrangement for your newborn, you are not alone! Infact, I faced the same issues when I first had my newborn. especially when deciding between baby bassinet vs crib, I spent hours and hours researching the best baby bassinet vs crib and here to share what I learned.
So in this article today, I will compare and contrast the baby bassinet vs crib, share the pros and cons and will help you decide which one should you choose for your newborn. so, you just don’t have to worry or spend hours to find the best one for your new arrival. So, let’s dive in.
What is a baby bassinet?
A baby bassinet is a small, portable bed that is specifically designed for newborns and infants. Bassinets are typically smaller than cribs, have lower sides, and are raised to a height that is comfortable for adults to reach into. This makes them ideal for keeping babies close by during the first few months of life.
What are benefits of bassinets?
Bassinets offer a number of benefits for parents and babies alike:
- Convenience: Bassinets are lightweight and portable, so they can be easily moved from room to room. This is especially helpful for parents who want to keep their baby close by while they are doing chores or relaxing.
- Safety: Bassinets are designed to be safe for babies to sleep in. The firm mattress and low sides help to prevent accidental falls, and the mesh sides allow for good airflow.
- Bonding: Bassinets can help to promote bonding between parents and babies. Keeping the baby close by at night makes it easier for parents to respond to their baby’s needs, and it can also help to reduce anxiety for both parents and babies.
Bassinets are typically used for babies from birth to about 4-6 months old. Once the baby outgrows the bassinet, they can be transitioned to a crib.
What are some important safety tips using the baby bassinet?
Here is a list of some tips for using a baby bassinet safely:
- Make sure to place the bassinet on a firm, level surface.
- Do not place the bassinet near windows, heaters, or other potential hazards.
- Use a firm, flat mattress that fits the bassinet snugly.
- Do not add any pillows, blankets, or toys to the bassinet.
- Always supervise your baby while they are in the bassinet.
What exactly is a crib?
A crib is a bed with high sides, typically made of wood or metal, that is designed for infants and young children. Cribs have slats on the sides to allow for airflow and visibility, and they have a firm, flat mattress to prevent suffocation.
Cribs are an important safety feature for infants and young children, as they help to prevent falls and injuries. Cribs are also important for promoting good sleep habits, as they provide a safe and comfortable place for children to sleep.
Cribs are typically larger than bassinets and are intended to be used for longer periods of time, typically until the child is about 2-3 years old.
What are the benefits of using a crib?
Here is a list of some great benefits of using a crib:
- Safety: Cribs are designed to be safe for infants and young children. The high sides and slats help to prevent falls, and the firm mattress prevents suffocation.
- Comfort: Cribs are typically made with comfortable materials, such as soft wood or metal, and they can be fitted with a variety of bedding options, such as mattresses, sheets, and blankets.
- Convenience: Cribs are relatively easy to assemble and disassemble, and they can be moved from room to room as needed.
- Durability: Cribs are typically made from durable materials, such as wood or metal, and they can last for many years.
Consider these Safety tips when a using a cirb
It is also important to follow safe sleep practices when using a crib. Here are some tips:
- Always place your baby on their back to sleep.
- Do not place any pillows, blankets, or stuffed animals in the crib with your baby.
- Make sure the crib mattress fits snugly in the crib frame.
- Lower the crib mattress when your baby can roll over.
- Supervise your baby while they are in the crib.
Cribs are an important safety and comfort feature for infants and young children. By choosing a crib that is the right size and meets all current safety standards, and by following safe sleep practices, you can help to ensure that your child has a safe and healthy sleep.
Bassinet vs. Crib: A Comparison for New Parents
|Smaller and more portable
|Larger and less portable
|Raised to adult waist level
|Lower to the ground
|May have rocking or swaying motion, canopy or hood, and storage pockets or baskets
|May have adjustable height, rocking motion, storage compartments, and convertible to a toddler bed
|Convenient for parents to reach into, easy to move from room to room, promotes bonding between parents and babies
|Safe and comfortable place for babies to sleep, can be used for longer periods of time, durable
|Outgrown sooner, may not be as safe for older babies
|Takes up more space, less portable, more expensive
Recommendation for a new parent with just a newborn:
I would recommend that a new parent with just a newborn choose a bassinet. Bassinets are convenient and easy to use, and they can help to promote bonding between parents and babies. Additionally, bassinets are relatively inexpensive, so they are a good option for parents on a budget.
However, it is important to keep in mind that babies outgrow bassinets quickly. Once a baby reaches about 15-20 pounds or can roll over, they will need to be transitioned to a crib. Therefore, new parents should plan on purchasing both a bassinet and a crib.
If you are unsure about which bassinet or crib to choose, I recommend that you talk to your pediatrician. They can help you to choose a safe and appropriate product for your baby’s needs.
Here are some recommended bassinet for newborn
- 4moms MamaRoo Sleep Bassinet, Adjustable Features
- Fodoss Bedside Bassinet, 7 Height Adjustable
- Graco My View 4-in-1 Bassinet
- Fisher-Price Luminate Bassinet with Sound Detection
- Ingenuity Dream Hero 3-in-1 Bassinet and Crib
- Dream On Me Lotus Bassinet and Bedside Sleeper